From The Daniel Island News|
Serena Williams to defend Family Circle Cup title
Feb 6, 2013 - 10:01:35 AM
2012 Family Circle Cup champion, Serena Williams, will return to Charleston for the 41st Family Circle Cup, March 30th – April 7th, 2013, to defend her title.
World No. 2, Serena Williams joins Samantha Stosur and sister, Venus Williams, in a world-class player field assembling in Charleston.
“It’s always exciting to have a past champion return to defend her title,” said Eleanor Adams, Tournament Manager. “And when that champion is Serena Williams, one of the most famous athletes in the world – we know our fans will be excited. Serena plays well in Charleston, and we’re looking forward to welcoming her back for a sixth time.”
Undeniably talented, Williams, the 18-year tennis veteran, has made her mark on the sport. With 47 WTA single titles, 15 Grand Slam single titles, 13 Grand Slam doubles titles and 724 total career wins, Williams has earned herself more prize money than any other female tennis player in history.
Williams has made six previous appearances in Charleston where she boasts a 17-4 record, and returns to this event with an active ten-match win streak in progress, stemming from her 2008 and 2012 Cup wins.
“The Family Circle Cup is one of my favorite tournaments to play on the WTA Tour,” said Williams. “I love the great fans, the tournament history and everything Charleston has to offer on and off the court. I’m definitely looking forward to defending my title there this spring.”
In 2012, Williams won her first tournament of the year in Charleston at the Family Circle Cup, and then went on to win Madrid, Wimbledon, Stanford, the Olympics, the US Open and the WTA Championships.
To purchase tickets to the 41st Family Circle Cup, visit the Family Circle Cup's ticketing page.
The Family Circle Cup is now accepting applications for 375 adult volunteers and 200 Ball Crew members (ages 11 & up) for the March 30th- April 7th tournament.
Applications are available online at FamilyCircleCup.com and at the Family Circle Tennis Center Clubhouse.
Adult volunteer opportunities involve 17 areas including guest services, player lounge, transportation, media center, information technology, ticket office, ushers, food & beverage, draw boards, volunteer cafe, court maintenance, among others.
• Each volunteer will receive a tournament credential allowing access to all nine day sessions of tennis, including the semifinals and finals, an official logoed hat and uniform that consists of a polo shirt and jacket.
• Volunteers enjoy perks including special events and discounts.
• Volunteers get to experience the world’s largest women’s tennis tournament from behind-the-scenes.
• Volunteers who commit to eight or more shifts will receive one guest ticket per day session.
• Volunteers must commit to working a minimum of six shifts (each shift is approximately 4-5 hours), which can be completed before the tournament and/or during the nine-day event.
• Volunteers are required to attend one orientation session.
• Volunteers are required to purchase a $60 Family Circle Cup uniform.
In addition to adult volunteer positions, the Family Circle Cup Ball Crew also plays an essential role in the tournament. Players and officials rely heavily on members of the Ball Crew to keep matches flowing effectively and efficiently.
Family Circle Cup Ball Crew members have the exclusive benefit of being on-court with the superstars of women tennis as the action is played out. These coveted spots fill quickly.
Ball Crew Requirements
• Attendance at an informational parent meeting for Ball Crew members, held at 1pm on Saturday, February 9th, 2013 at the Family Circle Stadium
• Weekly ball crew training sessions held at the Tennis Center every Saturday from February 9th - March 23rd and Friday, March 29th.
• Availability the week of the Family Circle Cup – March 30th – April 7th.
For more information about volunteer opportunities at the Family Circle Cup, email Jo.Cooper@familycirclecup.com, or leave a message on the Family Circle Cup Volunteer Hotline at (843) 849-5309.
© Copyright The Daniel Island News