||Last Updated: Apr 23, 2009 - 3:25:02 PM
New City of Charleston Leash Law and dog run information
By Barbara McLaughlin, Manager of Community Services, DI Property Owners Assoc.
Mar 11, 2009 - 11:30:27 AM
Email this article
Printer friendly page
We want to remind all pet owners that as of March 1, the City of Charleston has a new pet leash law and has also provided new information regarding dog runs. We felt it important to provide this information to our residents, as these laws are applicable to Daniel Island, which is governed by the City of Charleston. The Daniel Island Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions also states that dogs shall be kept on a leash or otherwise confined in a manner acceptable to the Board whenever outside the dwelling.
Several key parts of the new leash law and information regarding dog runs and off-leash areas include:
· All animals within the public rights-of-way or on public property should be restrained with a leash not to exceed 16 feet in length. The leashes should be worn everywhere except on private property or in designated parks. The new ordinance replaces old rules that allowed pet owners to let them off-leash with strict voice commands. The law also prohibits animals on athletic fields or courts.
· To provide for recreation, training, and exercise opportunities for dog owners, the ordinance allows for the establishment of designated off-leash areas. These areas can be provided by dog runs, which are fully fenced enclosures specifically created for off-leash use, and by the creation of unfenced off-leash areas located within other park areas.
· Each site will have specific rules which will be clearly posted at each park.
· Other off-leash areas will be developed as appropriate spaces are identified.
· While in dog runs or off-leash areas, animals are required to remain under sufficient strict voice control, and handlers must abide by the rules posted at each site.
· Owners are reminded that they are required to clean up after their pets.
· During the first two weeks of March, the City’s Animal Control officers will be focused on educating off-leash area users. Afterwards, violators will be subject to fines for violations.
· Currently, the City of Charleston operates dog runs at the following parks or areas (see below): Please note that Governor’s Park on Seven Farms Drive on Daniel Island is included as one of these areas. Charleston County PRC also operates dog runs, including one at the James Island County Park.
· Ansonborough Field, Concord Street All day
· Brittlebank Park, Lockwood Blvd. All day
· Cannon Park, Calhoun Street Restricted hours
· Governors Park, Seven Farms Drive on Daniel Island - All day
· Hazel Parker Playground, East Bay Street - Restricted hours
· The Horse Lot, Chisolm Street - All day
· Johns Island Park, Rewes Lane - All day
· Lenevar Playground, Lenevar Drive - All day
· West Ashley Park, Mary Ader Avenue - All day
· White Point Garden, Murray Blvd. - Restricted hours